Services in the Home and Community

Many people with disabilities are able to live in their homes or communities—and avoid institutional care—with the help of the services available to them in New Jersey


Learn about the services that allow New Jerseyans with disabilities and chronic illnesses to live as independently as possible. Girl receiving IV from doctor on couch

Housing assistance

People who are at risk of experiencing homelessness should call the Homeless Hotline at 2-1-1, which will put them in touch with local agencies that can help connect them to the resources they need. A detailed outline of other available programs can be found in the Financial Assistance section of the Disabilities Resources guide and the Services in the Home section of the Older Adult Resources guide.

Food assistance

Immediate assistance with accessing food can be found at local food pantries or soup kitchen; to find the one closest to you, call 2-1-1. For information about other food assistance programs, such as NJ SNAP and congregate meal programs for older adults, visit the Financial Assistance section of the Disabilities Resources guide or the Food & Nutrition section of the Older Adult Resources guide.

Transportation options

The wide range of transportation options in New Jersey can help everybody get where they need to go.

  • Transportation Management Associations (TMA) are nonprofit public-private partnerships that promote alternative commuting and transportation models such as transit, community shuttles, and van/carpool programs. To find the TMA that serves where you live, call 1-800-245-7665.
  • NJ Transit offers reduced fares for riders age 62 and older who possess a valid NJ Transit Reduced Fare ID or a Medicare card. Apply for a Reduced Fare ID on the NJ Transit website or call 1-973-491-7112 for more information.
  • NJ Transit also offers ADA paratransit through its Access Link program for eligible people who are unable to use local bus services. To learn more about Access Link or apply for eligibility, visit the NJ Transit website or call 1-973-491-4224. Paratransit is also available at the county level; information about who to contact where you live can be found here.
  • The New Jersey Travel Independence Program (NJTIP) teaches individuals with disabilities and older adults how to use public transportation safely and independently. Training (in English or Spanish) can be offered through one-on-one instruction, individual concierge and trip-planning services, small- and large-group instructions, and in-school instruction. For more information, call 1-848-932-4499 or email

Centers for Independent Living (CILs)

Centers for Independent Living are community-based, consumer-driven organizations designed to support individuals with disabilities by providing services based on individual needs, such as life-skills training, advocacy, information & referral, peer counseling, and socialization. To find the center associated with your county, visit the Division of Disability Services website.

Personal care services

Personal care services can help people with disabilities or chronic illnesses to live with dignity in a community setting. The type of service best suited for you will be based on factors such as financial eligibility and necessary level of care. Any questions about these programs can be addressed by using the ADRC hotline at 1-877-222-3737, or the Division of Disability Services at 1-888-285-3036 if under the age of 21.

  • Through NJ FamilyCare, the State's publicly funded health coverage program, eligible New Jerseyans can receive a variety of personal care services. Managed care organizations offer personal care assistant services performed long term in a beneficiary's home, as well as a personal preference program that allows beneficiaries to direct and manage their own activities. Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) delivers home- and community-based long-term care based on individualized plans, which can include personalized care services. Call the NJ FamilyCare hotline at 1-800-701-0710 for more information.
  • The State also offers programs for residents who aren't enrolled in NJ Family Care. The Personal Assistance Services Program (PASP) is a personal care assistance program that provides up to 40 hours per week of routine, non-medical personal care assistance to adults with permanent physical disabilities. To learn more about eligibility and enrollment for this program, contact your county coordinator, whose contact information can be found here.
  • Programs such as the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) and Jersey Assistance for Community Caregiving (JACC) offer in-home and community-based services to individuals who require a nursing facility level of care but are also able to live safely in their homes or communities. For more information about these programs, click on the links provided above or call the ADRC hotline at 1-877-222-3737.
  • If you yourself are a personal caregiver, visit the ADRC Caregiver Resource page for information about programs and initiatives that may be available to you or your care recipient.

Division of Disability Services (DDS) services

The Division of Disability Services (DDS) offers a toll-free information and referral service at 1-888-285-3036 to connect callers with live, professionally certified Community Resource Specialists specifically trained in disability services. Specialists can tell you about services available statewide, screen you for appropriate supports, and assist you in connecting to programs and services based on individualized needs.

DDS also administers the previously mentioned PASP program as well as the Traumatic Brain Injury Fund, which provides New Jersey residents of any age who have survived a traumatic brain injury access the brain-injury-related services and supports they need to live in the community.

Another DDS initiative is the Inclusive Healthy Communities (IHC) Grant Program, an initiative designed to provide funding opportunities to communities and organizations in New Jersey to promote inclusive practices that support the health and well-being of individuals with disabilities in the communities where they live. For information about IHC and other DDS programs, visit the division's website.

Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) services

The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) offer services such as assistive technology and behavioral supports to individuals 21 and older with developmental disabilities through its Medicaid waiver programs, the Supports Program and the Community Choice Program. These programs allow people to receive these services outside of an institutional setting. A quick guide to both of these programs can be found here, but more information about these programs and others can be found by calling 1-800-832-9173 or visiting their website.

PerformCare (Children's System of Care)

Services for individuals under the age of 21 with intellectual or developmental disabilities are administered by New Jersey's Children's System of Care, PerformCare, under the Department of Children and Families. The services provided by PerformCare are meant to cover needs that aren't met by school-related services, medical services reimbursable by health insurance, or by other existing supports or services. PerformCare services include family support services such as caregiver relief, connection with local care management organizations, and out-of-home treatment for individuals who aren't able to be safely treated at home. PerformCare is also the single point of access to behavioral health and substance use treatment services for New Jersey youth. For more information about PerformCare, call their 24/7 hotline at 1-877-652-7624 or visit their website.

The Office of the Ombudsman for Individuals with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities and Their Families 

The Office of the Ombudsman for Individuals with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities and Their Families serves as the lead advocate and ally for New Jersey residents with intellectual or developmental disabilities of all ages and their families. For more information about how the office can help provide you with guidance, assistance, and advocacy, call 1-609-984-7764 or visit their website.

Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) services

The Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) provides education, employment, independent living, and eye health services to individuals who are blind or visually impaired, their families, caregivers, and the community. Services provided by the commission include school-based services, vocational rehabilitation, programs at Regional Technology Assistance Centers, and many more. For more information about available services at CBVI, e-mail, call 1-877-685-8878, or contact the regional service office closest to you.

Division of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DDHH) services

The Division of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DDHH) works to eliminate barriers and promote increased accessibility to programs, services, and information to individuals who are deaf and/or hard of hearing. Services provided by the division include hearing aid and assistive technology distribution programs, sign language and real-time caption services, and others. For more information about the services offered by DDHH, email or call 1-800-792-8339.

Dual-sensory impairments

Individuals who are deaf-blind can find help through Support Service Providers, trained professionals who focus on the promotion of employment by supporting vocational, health, education, and independent living activities for people with dual impairments. This program is a collaborative effort between CBVI and the College of New Jersey; more information can be found by calling the CBVI coordinator of vocational rehabilitation and transition services at 1-973-648-3660.